Senior Mechanical Marine Engineer
Main Purpose of the Job
To lead the design and development of the mechanical parts of Anemoi’s marine wind-assisted ship propulsion technology.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Mechanical design and development of Anemoi’s equipment, in terms of functionality, efficiency and cost effectiveness.
- Specifying design improvements for development by the internal engineering team or with external consultants as required.
- Working with existing and new manufacturers for supply of the technology in line with designs and specifications, and to the quality and cost required by the company.
- Supporting the commissioning and operation of the technology on ships.
- Contributing to the development of operation and maintenance manuals and supporting clients with maintenance requirements.
- Contributing to the running of tests on the equipment.
- Contributing to the development of Anemoi’s intellectual property portfolio.
Education / Qualifications
- Masters degree in Mechanical or similar engineering discipline (minimum 2:1)
- Chartered engineer or working towards Chartership
Knowledge and Experience
Likely to have 10+ years of post-graduate engineering work experience, covering:
- Mechanical design, ideally of industrial machinery for harsh environments such as marine or offshore equipment, trains, cranes, construction equipment, agricultural equipment, mining equipment or wind turbines.
- Designing with and specifying materials including steels, bronzes, engineering polymers, elastomers
- Designing with and specifying off-the-shelf and (where necessary) bespoke mechanical components and sensors
- Choosing and designing for appropriate production processes including welding, casting, machining, surface treatment, painting and coating.
- Specifying manufacturing tolerances and understanding their effect on performance, quality and cost, including measurement methods
- Developing designs optimised for manufacturability, reliability, maintainability and cost
- Designing for medium volume production (tens to hundreds of units per year)
- Managing design configurations and revision control
- Specifying and overseeing testing of prototype components and assemblies to demonstrate reliability and to improve performance and cost
- Experience with Excel, MatLab, AutoCAD and 3D modelling software
- Experience of using FEA software and interpreting FEA results
- Ability to manage specialist multi-disciplinary engineering consultants and suppliers
- Experience of working with Classification Societies and applying their rules and regulations for designs would be advantageous
- Experience with condition-based monitoring (CBM) systems would be advantageous
- Experience of the commercial shipping industry would be advantageous but not essential
Personal Qualities and Competences
- Strong attention to detail
- Methodical worker with self-checking approach
- Clear written and spoken English
- Strong team player, able to delegate and work effectively with colleagues, consultants and suppliers
- Able to explain complex information clearly and concisely
- Able to understand and take into account others’ viewpoints and input
- Understands importance of meeting agreed deadlines whilst maintaining quality
- Appetite for innovation
- Dynamic and proactive
- Willingness to travel when required
- A passion for harnessing renewable energy to improve the world we live in
Anemoi is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.